Coming up with first date ideas can be stressful, especially if you are trying to make a good impression and ensure future dates with a certain special someone. There are so many options out there, including dinner and a movie, coffee at a quaint café, or drinks at a cool bar. What does one choose? How about going with a unique, somewhat unconventional choice, like the pool hall!
You might have wondered to yourself why the pool hall is a good place for a first date. The pool hall is a great place for a first date. Pool is a fun, exciting game that ranks right up there with other social ‘sports’ such as darts and chess. Anyone and everyone can play, regardless of age or sex. It is a great ‘ice breaker’ activity and a unique choice for a first date.
Below we will discuss in further detail twelve reasons why a game of 8-ball or snooker will make for a great date night! First dates should be light, relaxed and casual. A game of pool while enjoying some delicious food and cool beverages is the perfect choice! Now get ready to be convinced (without a doubt) that a first date at a pool is the way to go!
12 Reasons to Consider the Pool Hall for Your First Date
- Pool is your passion! If you enjoy the game and are good at it, why not show off your skills. A date will no doubt be impressed with your ability to sink that ‘8-ball in the corner pocket’. Put your best attributes on display and if playing pool is one of them then go for it!
Who knows, if your date has some mad pool skills maybe you can convince him/her to sign up to be a part of your pool league team?!
- Pool is your date’s passion! Does your date enjoy playing pool? Want to get into his/her good books right off the bat? If so, show him/her that you are attentive to their interests and arrange a fun night at the local billiard hall. The best way to make a good first date impression is to select an activity you know your date enjoys.
- It is economical to play pool. As far as recreational activities go, pool is one of the more inexpensive options. In fact, it is often considered one of the cheapest ‘sport’ to play. You do not need to purchase any special equipment in advance. Everything you need (i.e. balls, cues, chalk, table) is available for rent right at the billiard hall for around $5 or $10 an hour on average!
- Appeals to all. The game of pool has been played since its invention in northern Europe in the 15th century. It was played by kings and commoners, men and women, presidents and civilians. No matter your age, race, sex or stature, it is truly a game for everyone.
- Other gaming options available. Usually pool rooms offer other gaming choices such as darts, pinball, fuse ball, video games, etc. This makes for a fun, interesting date because you can ‘change things up’ and try a different activity, eliminating the likely of boredom.
- Good eats! Most billiard halls provide pub-style foods, such as burgers and fries, nachos and various appetizers like chicken wings and barbeque ribs. This gives you and your date a chance to sit down, relax and chat, a very important part of a first date.
- Good drinks! Many pool rooms are licensed to serve alcohol. This is a nice alternative to coffee or tea (as long as consumed in moderation, of course). Alcohol has a sedative effect so if you or date feels nervous or anxious, alcohol can help calm those butterflies!
Better yet, if the pool hall is close to your residence, you can walk home after a few cold ones!
- Good atmosphere. Most billiard halls have music playing (sometimes even a juke box or karaoke) and large TV’s throughout (with sports, concerts or comedies showing). This makes the atmosphere more appealing, relaxing and enjoyable. You and your date can have the added fun of picking songs together on the juke box or discussing the latest scores in the hockey game!
Have you ever danced in a pool hall? Maybe you should, if you have ‘cool moves’ to show off!
- Smoking or non-smoking? Years ago, pool halls were synonymous with smoking. Gamblers and hustlers bent over tables in smoke-filled rooms was the image that often came to mind. Today, however, most establishments are non-smoking, with options of outdoor areas or smoke rooms to enjoy one’s cigarette. So if you (or date) is a smoker (or not) most pool halls can accommodate this.
- Alone or group date? Because pool is a ‘social sport’ it can be enjoyed one-on-one or with a group. Are you nervous about being alone on a first date? Ask a friend or couple to join you. With other people present, there is less chance for ‘awkward silence’ should the conversation between you and your date fall flat!
- No need for black tie! There is no dress code to play pool. Because it is such a laid-back game, it allows you to dress comfortably and casually. Therefore, you will feel relaxed and confident, which will help you make a good impression on a first date!
- Just for the fun of it! You do not need to be a ‘shark’ to enjoy the game of pool. From classics such as 8-ball and snooker to carom and English billiards, there is an option to suit every personality and every skill level. On a first date you want to have fun and playing pool is fun, enough said!
So there you have it! Twelve good reasons why playing pool is a great idea for a first date. The added health benefits are just the topping on the cake!
A Fun Game to Break the Ice at the Pool Hall
Here is an example of a great pool/first date game. While playing 8-Ball, each time you sink your shot, ask your date a question. If you miss the shot, then your date gets to ask you a question. Common first date questions can include:
- What is your job and how long have you been doing it?
- Where are you originally from?
- Where did you go to school?
- What is your favorite vacation destination?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite color?
- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
- Are you an early bird or a night owl?
- When is your birthday?
- Are you a cat or a dog person? Note: keep the questions general and ‘light’ on your first date.
Final Points to Ponder When Considering Going to Play Pool on a Date
Playing pool sharpens the mind. It also improves cognitive skills, such as hand-eye coordination. It challenges your imagination, visualization and problem-solving skills.
It also tones muscles and burns calories. A two-hour game of 8-ball is estimated to consist of 100 trips around the circumference of the table, which is equivalent to a ¾ mile walk (for all you fit bit enthusiasts)! Use this ‘fun fact’ as a topic of discussion on your first date, especially if you are both interested in health and fitness.
The game of pool has a vast and vivid history. Since the 1900’s when 8-Ball was invented in the United States, is has become widely popular in North America and appeals to all ages. No matter your fitness level, pool is a great activity.
Take a risk on a first date. Dinner and a movie, for example, is nice albeit stereotypical and not very unique. Make a statement. Try something unconventional and fun, something your date will remember because it was not the common choice. Play pool!