If you have a pool table, you are aware that it is quite an investment. Any damage to the table can make all of the money you spent on it a waste. Water damage can be nasty to a pool table. If you are afraid of this problem, you might wonder if it is possible to waterproof a table and protect it from water damage.
You cannot permanently and completely waterproof a traditional pool table made of wood and felt. But, you can, and should, make your table water-resistant, and take protective measures that will serve as a defense against any liquid that might come into contact with your pool table to prevent major damage.
Read on to learn more about waterproofing a table. Once you finish, you should understand how to waterproof a table. You will know the benefits and disadvantages that come with it. Protecting your expensive pool table should be a top priority if you want it to last for a long time.
Making a Pool Table Water Resistant
As mentioned above, it is not possible to completely waterproof a pool table unless you invest in one not made out of classic wood and felt materials.
The best things you can do to make your table water-resistant, include taking measures that will keep liquid from interacting with the natural materials of the table.
Three of the best ways that you can waterproof a table include:
- Investing in a cover: Many companies sell waterproof covers for pool tables. This product can be placed on your table after you are done using it and removed when you want to use it again.
- Avoiding placing wet items on top: Some people ruin their tables with water by placing drinks and other items on top. Avoid this to keep moisture away from the delicate fabric and wood of the table.
- Keep it inside: Many keep their pool tables outside. However, if you want to defend the piece from liquid, keeping it inside is a better option.
All of these are the best ways that you can protect your table from water.
There are extreme ways to waterproof a table, and many videos online will show you how to do just that. However, the three listed ways of protecting your table from water are more practical for many people.
Benefits to Waterproofing a Table
It is vital to know the benefits of waterproofing a pool table, as it requires extra effort on your part. There is much good that comes from taking the time to make sure that your piece is protected. We will discuss these a little bit so you know the good that will come out of making the extra effort for your furniture.
Some of the benefits of waterproofing a table include:
- Longevity: With extra protection, your pool table will last longer. You can use it for a longer length of time than pool tables left out in the open.
- Aesthetic appeal: By avoiding water damage, your pool table will be beautiful longer.
All of these are benefits that come from waterproofing a pool table.
It is worth the bonus work to keep your pool table safe from a liquid. You will be able to use it for a long time and enjoy all that it has to offer without water damage getting in the way.
Disadvantages to Waterproofing a Table
Of course, there are a few disadvantages to making the extra effort to waterproof your table. It is vital to understand these so that you can know if it is worth it to go out of your way.
Some of the disadvantages to waterproofing your table include:
- Extra expenses: Covers and other items will cost you more money, and you will need to replace them over time.
- More effort: It takes more effort to waterproof a table, which is not desirable to those who prefer ease.
All of these are some things to consider when deciding whether or not you should waterproof your table. Of course, it is often worth the effort to protect your table. It will last for a long time and potentially save you money in the end.
Pool tables can pull a big chunk of cash out of your pocket. With such an investment, you must give it as much protection as you possibly can. Though you cannot apply a protective coating or similar substance, you can use a waterproof cover and avoid putting wet items on top of the piece.
It might seem like a pain to continue placing a cover on top of a pool table every time you use it, but it will be worth it. Your pool table will last a lot longer than if you left it out in the open to experience everything that the world and your home have to throw at it. Protection from a liquid will serve your fun piece well for a very long time.