Playing pool is incredibly fun and can be a great way to spend time by yourself or with family and friends. If you love playing pool at billiard clubs, bars, or rec centers, you may have considered getting one for your home. But before you make such a big purchase, let’s find out: Are pool tables worth it?
Pool tables typically cost between $1,200 and $3,500, depending on the quality, and are 8 feet long. Because of their high price tag and large surface area, whether or not pool tables are worth it for your home really depends on how much you play.
In this article, we are going to discuss the pros and cons of getting a pool table for your home so you can decide for yourself if a pool table is worth it! You are going to be a pool table expert in just a few minutes.
How Big are Pool Tables?
Before you even seriously consider getting a pool table, you will first need to know how big they are so you can ensure it will fit in your home!
A standard-size pool table is known as an 8-foot pool table, which is 3.66 feet wide and 8 feet long. Although this might not seem like a large area to cover, it’s important to understand how a pool table compares to a typical room.
The average living room in the American home is 14 feet by 16 feet. That means that there will only be 4 feet on either side of the pool table to move around. While 4 feet on either side is enough room to comfortably play pool, you will not be able to fit any other furniture in the room.
So, unless you have a much larger room, you can assume that the entire room will be dedicated to the pool table.
As well, it’s important to understand that pool tables are extremely heavy: An 8-foot pool table usually weighs around 1,000 pounds! That means that you will certainly need to hire professionals to move and assemble the table, especially if you are planning on placing it up or downstairs in your home.
While there are smaller pool tables, such as the 6-foot and 7-foot options, if you want to play on the size you know from billiard clubs or rec centers, you will certainly want to go for the 8-foot option.
How Expensive are Pool Tables?
Another factor to consider when deciding whether or not a pool table is worth it for your home is the price tag. As with any other big purchase, there is a wide variety of options for pool tables, and their prices can really vary.
Pool tables can cost anywhere from $1,200 to $3,500. Basic tables usually run from about $1,200 to $2,000, whereas the higher-quality options range from $2,000 to $3,500.
When deciding which pool table you should get, there are several features to pay attention to:
- Material & Design: Synthetic materials are often less expensive than hardwood; however, hardwood lasts quite a bit longer. If you opt for a specialty design, it will certainly increase the price as well.
- Grade of Felt: Surprisingly, there are several types of felt that you can choose from when purchasing a pool table. Choosing the right felt can make a big difference in durability and how long the felt will last, and it can also benefit your playing. But of course, the better the felt, the higher the price.
- Size of the Table: As you now know, you can opt for a 6-foot, 7-foot, 8-foot, or even a 9-foot pool table. While 8-foot is the standard, and 9-foot is considered competition size, the table will become more expensive as the size grows.
Once again, whether or not you opt for a pool table depends on your budget and the size of your home, but there are several advantages and downsides to consider before you make the purchase.
Pros and Cons of Getting a Pool Table
Let’s break down the pros and cons of getting a pool table so you can decide once and for all if it is worth it for you and your home!
Pros of Purchasing a Pool Table
Here are a few of the advantages of opting for a pool table in your home:
- Fun for you and your friends and family.
- Activity for parties and get-togethers.
- Improve your pool skills.
- Save money by not going out to public places with pool tables.
Now, let’s talk about the cons!
Cons of Purchasing a Pool Table
As with any big purchase, there are a few disadvantages to buying a pool table:
- It takes up a lot of space in your home.
- It is expensive.
- Pool tables require upkeep.
- They are difficult to move without professional assistance.
Alright, you now have all the information you need to decide if you are going to purchase a pool table!
The Bottom Line
So, are pool tables worth it? Well, that’s up to you! But, the consensus among pool players is that it is certainly worth having a pool table in your home if you have the space and the budget for it!