The Action VAL05 Pool Cue has been on our radar for quite a while now — and likely your radar as well. It’s tough to find a budget pool stick that will keep up with the rapid growth of a beginner player. A pool cue in this price range needs to sink effective shots without all the bells and whistles. But let’s be honest: if you’re just starting out, you probably don’t even know what a low-deflection shaft is.
Whether you’re looking for a gift for the holidays, or just want to dip your toe in the game, the Action VAL05 is sure to satisfy.
Tired of the unraveling linen wraps you find in bars and local billiards? Or do your friends bring their own sticks around and crush the competition? You’re ready to leave house cues behind. The Action VAL05 Pool Cue is a good step up for those who are sick of dabbling.
Sure, there are many companies who compete in this price range. Few of them produce something as dependable as the Action VAL05.
Action is a company based overseas. Don’t let that fool you, however. Action has been around for over ten years churning out well-crafted products with great accuracy. They often sell their cues through warehouses, and supply restaurant and bar owners with bulk orders. So, chances are, you have already played an Action pool stick without even realizing it!
What Kind of Player Does this Suit?
For those who want to start out without emptying their wallets, the Action VAL05 is the way to go.
Sure, you could pay more for a cue, and even start out on something in the hundred-dollar range. But that’s a lot of commitment, especially for someone who may not know if they’ll still be playing in six months time. We hope you “stick” with it, though.
What Other Owners Have Said About It
Most players thought the Action VAL05 Pool Cue was a great value overall.
- Players praise the stick’s ability to break.
- A few purchases have reported a lack of sealant on the tip end of the shaft.
- Great accuracy and follow-through has improved various players’ games.
At this price range, there are many competitors. Let’s compare a few, shall we?
- Advantage: Cool Skull Design is hard to ignore.
- Disadvantage: Nearly double the price of the VAL05.
- Advantage: Traditional looking design.
- Disadvantage: Other people may confuse it for a house cue and grab or use it. Keep an eye on it.
The Action ACTSP39 Sneaky Pete Cue is a roughly equal quality-wise compared to the Action VAL. If you’re concerned about your wallet, stick with the VAL.
If you care more about having a cool looking pool cue, pay a little more for the Eight Ball Mafia pool cue. Otherwise, both pool cues are similar in quality – great for the money either way.
If you’re getting into billiard playing, or just want to give a gift for the holidays, you could do much worse than the Action VAL05 Pool Cue. Quality control seems to be solid, and very few have complaints about this stick. You may not be entering a league anytime soon, but it’s probably not on the agenda anyway.
Here is a quick breakdown of the Pros and Cons:
- An eccentric and flashy appearance on birdseye maple.
- Comes with a one-year warranty and an accessory.
- Boar skin tip and super straight shaft make for accurate play.
- Doesn’t come with a wrap, while others in the price range do.
- No low-deflection shaft.
- No frills setup means it sacrifices character for dependability.
With many competitors in its price range, the Action VAL05 Pool Cue keeps up and then some. There’s not much to distinguish it from comparable products, but there aren’t many detriments either. The lack of a wrap might be a dealbreaker for some, but this will come down to personal preference.